These fun conversation starters for kids are great if you want to encourage them to talk more and open up about their experiences.
Children love talking and these conversation topics for kids are a brilliant way to get them to use their imagination and get them talking.
By posing some fun, introspective and downright ridiculous questions, we’re engaging children with topics they enjoy and allowing their minds to go freely. Some of the answers to these questions should make for interesting conversations!
We’ve curated this list of kids conversation starters so you don’t have to think up questions on the spot. We hope you and your kids enjoy them, and the conversations they provide.
Conversation Starters For Kids List
- What would you do if you woke up to find dinosaurs had come back to life?
2. If you had a robot for a day, what would you use it for?
3. If you could have any dinosaur as a pet, which one would you choose?
4. If time travel was possible, would you prefer to go back in time or into the future?
5. If you could have dessert for breakfast, which one would you choose?
6. Do you think a polar bear would win in a fight against an elephant?
7. Do you think it’s important to pay attention at school?
8. Could you go an entire week without eating ice cream?
9. If you were given $50 to spend, what would you spend it on?
10. Do you think you could spend an entire day without talking?
You might also like: This or that questions for kids
11. Do you know any famous people who share your birthday?
12. Which do you think is the better superpower: being invisible or being able to fly?
13. What animal would you love to have as a pet?
14. If you became the leader of your country, what’s the first law you’d create?
15. What’s one song you love to dance to?
You might also like:
- Get to know you questions for kids
- Never have I ever questions for kids
- Questions for toddlers
- Open-ended questions for kids
- Icebreaker questions for kids
16. If you could only eat one type of pizza for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
17. What musical instrument would you love to be able to play?
18. What’s the best present you’ve ever received for your birthday?
19. If you woke up and found a hippo in your back garden, what would you do?
20. What do you like the most about your friends?
21. Do you prefer to play indoors or outdoors?
22. What do you like most about Saturdays?
23. What’s the funniest thing you’ve ever seen?
24. If you could visit one place in the world, where would you go?
25. If you could create a new holiday for everybody to celebrate, what would it involve?
26. If you had the choice between going to the circus or going to the cinema, which would you prefer?
27. What’s your favourite game to play with your friends?
28. What’s your favorite Disney film?
29. What makes someone or something silly?
30. If you had the opportunity to go into space on a rocket, what would you do it?
You might also like: Fun questions for kids
31. What’s the most disgusting thing you’ve ever eaten?
32. What do you like the most about your brother/sister?
33. What would you do if you found the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow?
34. What are some of the things you have, that you don’t need, but are grateful to have?
35. If you wrote a book, what would it be about?
36. How do you think other people feel when you’re kind to them?
37. Is it ever ok to cheat on a test in school?
38. What do you want to be when you grow up?
39. What’s your favorite thing to do in the car?
40. What’s the most interesting dream you’ve ever had?
You might also like: Would you rather questions for kids
41. What cheers you up when you’re sad?
42. Would you like to be famous when you’re older?
43. What’s the one rule you’d like to get rid of in school?
44. What’s the best thing about being a kid?
45. What’s the worst thing about being a kid?
46. If you could only have three toys, what would they be?
47. What’s the most important trait in a friend?
48. What’s one thing you think you’re really good at?
49. What’s the funniest joke you know?
50. If you could live in a treehouse, what would it look like?
51. What chore do you dislike doing the most?
52. Do you prefer to watch sports or play sports?
53. If our pet could talk, what do you think he/she would say?
54. Do you think ghosts are real? What would you do if you saw one?
55. What’s your favorite thing about school?
56. What’s your favorite time of the year?
57. If you could be any cartoon character, who would you be?
58. What do you like the most about Grandpa and Grandma?
59. If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
60. What do you think is the worst smell in the world?
You might also like: Yes or no questions for kids
61. What’s the coolest thing you’ve learned recently?
62. What’s your favorite thing about winter?
63. What’s your favorite day of the week?
64. What’s the longest word you know?
65. Where would you hide if there was a zombie apocalypse?
66. If you could read minds, whose mind would you like to read?
67. What’s your favorite cartoon programme?
68. What’s your favorite board game?
69. What’s your favorite vegetable?
70. What would you do if you saw an alien?
71. What’s your secret talent?
72. What’s your favorite video game?
72. Do you think it’s a good or bad idea to watch TV all day?
73. Would you rather travel by boat or by car?
74. What’s the most interesting fact you know?
75. What’s your favorite sandwich?
76. What’s your favorite type of candy?
77. Would you rather skip, march or hop everywhere you went?
78. If you could only have one of your senses, which one would you have?
79. What’s your favorite subject at school?
80. If you could travel into the future, what would you want to see the most?
81. What’s the one thing that makes you laugh the most?
82. What food do you like the least?
83. Do you think it’s important to be polite?
84. What’s the first thing you think of when you wake up?
85. What animal noises can you make?
86. What are you most scared of?
87. What’s the best party you’ve ever been to?
88. What’s a subject you’d love to learn more about at school?
89. What’s the most interesting historical event you’ve learnt about?
90. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
You might also like: Critical thinking questions for kids
91. What’s your favorite type of weather?
92. What’s the furthest you’ve ever walked?
93. What’s the one thing you’d never sell no matter how much money someone offered for it?
94. Do you ever pretend to be someone else?
95. What’s your favorite restaurant?
96. What’s the nicest thing someone has ever done for you?
97. Do you think it would be cool to have a duck for a pet?
98. If you could have any job, what would it be?
99. What’s one of your happiest memories?
100. What’s something that makes you angry?
101. what’s something you feel really passionate about?
102. How do you show someone you love them?
103. Do you prefer to get your lunch from the school cafeteria or pack your own?
104. How long does it take you to go to sleep when you go to bed?
105. What’s your favorite thing to do with your family?
106. What are the two largest numbers that you can add together in your head?
107. What would you do if you accidentally dropped your ice cream cone on the ground?
Looking For More Questions?
Bible questions for kids – A useful set of questions to help children understand the Bible better.
Most likely to questions for kids – A fun set of questions that will have children chatting for hours!
Conversation starters – A general list of conversation starters you can use with older kids, teens and adults