These dinner conversation starters are ideal to use with your family or if you’re at a dinner party with friends.
The purpose of these table talk questions is to encourage discussion and allow you to catch up with each other on how your day has gone. If your friends are gathering together then these dinner questions will allow you to find out what you’ve all been up to since you last met.
There are a variety of family dinner conversation starters that are perfect if you have a young family, more general topics that are applicable to everyone and some random talking points you can use too.
Next time you’re at the dinner table, use these dinner questions and see how they go!
Table of Contents
Affiliate Disclosure: Thank you for supporting us. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Please see our Advertising Disclosure for more details.
How To Use These Dinner Conversation Starters
There are several ways you can use these dinner conversation starters the next time you’re all together at the dinner table.
You can print them off, cut them up and place them in a mason jar. Each of you pulls one from the jar and takes turns asking your questions and answering others. The simplest way is to just memorise a few conversation starters and bring them up at the table.
You could even have one dinner, where just one person asks all the questions and then change it the next day to someone else and so on. The nature of these open-ended questions means they should lead to interesting conversations so this is a good idea if you want some lengthy discussions.
It’s also useful to set a few rules at the table to keep the conversation going and to ensure you make the most of these dinner table questions. Here are a few you could implement:
- No phones at the table
- Everyone tries at least one piece of every food on the table
- Everyone answers at least one question and tries to give the best answer they can
- No interrupting someone when they’re giving their answer
You get the idea. So here are 50 of our best dinner conversation questions to use the next your family or friends are gathered together.
Dinner Conversation Starters List
- What were the three best things that happened to you today?
- Did you manage to help anyone today? In what way did you help them?
- What are you most looking forward to about tomorrow?
- What’s the lamest superpower you could have?
- What’s one meal you could eat over and over and never get bored?
- Is there anything you’re struggling with at the moment?
- If you could invite three people, living or dead, to a dinner party, who would they be and why?
- How was your day?
- What’s the nicest thing you’ve ever done for your friends?
- If we could go anywhere on a family vacation, where would it be and why?
You might also like:
- Funny Conversation Starters
- Deep Conversation Starters
- Interesting Conversation Topics
- Hot Takes
- Conversation Starters For Married Couples
- Is there anything that made you smile recently?
- What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
- Have you ever met a famous person? Who was it and where did you meet them?
- If aliens visited us, do you think they’d like what we eat?
- Is there a skill you’d love to learn? What is it and why do you want to learn it?
- What’s your favorite family activity to do together?
- If you could go on vacation anywhere, where would it be and why?
- If you were only allowed to eat five foods for the rest of your life, what would they be?
- What’s your go-to meal when you’re hungry?
- What’s one piece of junk food you love no matter how unhealthy it is?
You might also like: Family Conversation Starters
- What do you think makes a good friend?
- What’s your favorite cuisine?
- How would you describe our/your family in three words?
- What’s the best family vacation you’ve been on?
- How would you describe each person at the table in five words?
- What dessert could you eat again and again?
- Do you have a party trick? If so, what is it?
- How do you like to relax?
- What’s the one problem in the world you’d love to solve?
- What’s the best joke you know?
- What makes our family special?
- What’s the most important thing you’ve ever learned?
- What accomplishment are you proudest of?
- What’s your dream job?
- What’s the scariest thing you’ve ever done?
- If you could change your name, what would you change it to and why?
- What does your perfect day look like?
- What’s something you’re desperate to learn?
- If you could be transformed into an animal, which one would it be?
- What three wishes would you ask for if you found a magic lamp?
If you’re hosting a dinner event, you might enjoy the Table Topics Conversation Starters Game available on Amazon!
- Would you rather live in a big city or by the beach?
- Do you prefer cats or dogs?
- What’s the best restaurant you’ve been to recently?
- What’s your go-to pizza topping?
- What’s your favorite type of sandwich?
- What activities for your dinner party would you have if you were hosting one?
- If you could invent anything to improve the world, what would it be?
- If you won $1,000,000, what would you spend it on?
- What’s your guilty pleasure?
- Is there a foreign language you’d love to be able to speak but never got around to learning?
Looking For More Questions?
Funny Questions To Ask – If you’re looking for some light-hearted laughs at the dinner table, this is the list for you!
Questions To Get To Know Someone – Ideal set of questions if you’re at a dinner party or an event with people you’re not familiar with.
Halloween Conversation Starters – Perfect set of talking points to use during spooky season!
Questions To Ask Old People – If you’re visiting older relatives, these are some great questions to ask.
Deep Questions To Ask – Have some thoughtful discussions at the dinner table with these talking points.
Disclosure: Thank you for supporting Questions About Everything. Some of the links in this article may be affiliate links, meaning I may earn a commission if you make a purchase Please note this is at no additional cost to you.