Hypothetical questions are fun to ask if you want to have some interesting and wacky conversations with friends and family.
Some of the scenarios presented will require deep reflection and thought, while others represent fun hypothetical questions that should lead to some light-hearted conversations.
We’ve also included what would you do questions so you can gauge how someone would approach some of the situations posed.
These hypothetical scenarios will provide hours of fun and introspective questions with whoever you ask them to!
Hypothetical Questions List
- If you could be any fictional character, who would you choose and why?
2. If all the politicians of your country had to compete in a reality TV show of some kind, what kind of show would you create for them?
3. What would you do if you had the power to be invisible?
4. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, which would you choose?
5. If you had to be woken up by the same piece of music every day of your life, which music would you choose?
6. If you could own a billion-dollar company that doesn’t yet exist, what would the company do?
7. What kind of apocalypse would you choose: zombies, an asteroid, or alien invasion?
8. If you were a character in a fantasy role-playing game, who out of your friends or family would you recruit for your party?
9. What would you do if you woke up as a member of the opposite sex for the day?
10. What animal body part or skill would you like to have? Wings? A tail? The ability to shed your skin?
You might also like:
- Philosophical questions
- Hard questions to answer
- Mind blowing questions
- Self-reflection questions
- Questions that make you think
11. If we discovered the secret to stopping the ageing process, would you want to use it or not?
12. What will your country look like in ten years’ time? What about fifty years’ time? How will it have changed socially, politically, or technologically?
13. What would you do if you found out you were living in a Truman Show-type world, where everything was fake and for TV?
14. If robots became sentient and seemed as alive and as real as human beings, would you campaign for their equal rights?
15. If you had to marry a Disney prince or princess, which would you choose?
You might also like: Open-ended questions
16. What national monument would you like installed in your back garden?
17. If you had to choose to be born as someone else and live their life, who would you choose and why?
18. What period of time would travel to if time travel was possible? Into the future or back in time?
19. If you could get a ticket to see a singer that’s dead or a band that’s no longer together, which band or singer would you choose?
20. In Back to the Future, when Marty has gone back in time, he asks his parents not to be so hard on their son; if you could give your parents some pointers, what would you say to their younger selves?
21. What would you do, if you suddenly inherited a small country? Lead it, give it its freedom, or something else?
22. If you couldn’t have a cake at your wedding, what would you have instead?
23. If you could start an elite club for only certain people, what would be the club and who would be invited?
24. If you could choose an animal to become sentient and live alongside us, which would you choose and why?
25. If no one was ever canceled for what they said or did on social media, how would that change the culture of online communication?
26. If you could shapeshift into any person, what would you do with the power? Prank people? Find out what it’s like to be a member of the opposite sex or a different race? Make videos of famous people saying stupid things?
27. If you could create a teleport door from your house to anywhere in the world, where would you choose the door to go to?
28. If someone broke into your house, what item in your bedroom would you use to fend them off with?
29. What word do you hate, and if you had the power to, would ban? What word would you replace it with?
30. If you could stop time, just once in your life for an hour, when would you use it?
You might also like: What if questions
31. If for every manufactured ‘good’ photo posted on social media, everyone had to post a more real ‘bad’ photo, what would the culture be like on social media?
32. If you could have a fictional character that followed you around and gave you life advice but was invisible to others, what person would you choose?
33. If you had to get a tattoo of a word written on your forehead, what would you get? What would you choose for me?
34. If you could make all the decisions for one person for a week, which person would you choose and what would you have them do?
35. Who would you most like to get Boanthropy, where the sufferer believes themselves to be a cow?
36. What kind of thing would you want to be named after you?
37. If you could commission, reboot, or remake any TV show which would you choose?
38. If you became a secret Bansky-like graffiti artist, what name would you give yourself?
39. Whatever you do for the next week will be erased from time and the memory of everyone but you – what do you do?
40. If you could have one magic spell, which would you choose?
41. If you could be a superhero, so you would have their powers, but then also their life, which would you choose?
42. If you were to win an award what do you think you’d win in? What would your friend(s) win an award in?
43. If you could bring any author back from the dead to write a new novel or comic, or finish one that they never finished, which author would you choose?
44. If you could remove a memory from someone else’s brain, which person would you choose and what memory would you take?
45. If you had a magic spell to cause anyone you want to fall in love with you, do you think you’d use it?
You might also like: Existential questions
46. If you found out a member of your family had committed a heinous crime, what would you do? Would you tell them you know? Would you report them to the police?
47. You’re having a hot tub party – which four people alive or dead do you choose to join you for the party?
48. If you could only eat one food for every meal for the rest of your life, which food would you choose?
49. If you were a superhero but had no superpowers, what would be your way of saving people and fighting enemies?
50. Would you increase your life satisfaction if it meant that it was going to be shorter?
51. If you could take holidays in alternate realities where your life is very different, but the caveat would be that an alternate you also takes a holiday in your life, would you?
52. If you could live in any fictional world, which would you choose?
53. What would you be most likely to become a celebrity of?
54. If you had to choose a song to play in your head every time you went for a walk, what song would you choose?
55. If a genie turned up and gave you three wishes, what would your wishes be? (No infinite wishes, no infinite genies!)
56. Would you prefer to have bottoms on your toes and mouths on your fingers, or mouths on your toes and bottoms on your fingers?
57. If you could do all of your work with the snap of your fingers, would you? What would be the downside of this power?
58. What would you do if you suddenly owned Disney, Amazon, and Apple?
59. If you had to have three housemates, which would you choose?
60. If there was a film about your life, who would play you? Who would play your family members?
Next: Deep questions to ask
61. If you had to come up with new names for the months of the year, what would you call them?
62. If you had to be any animal, which would you choose and why?
63. If you could only use one social media for the rest of your life, which would you choose and why?
64. If you were to create or abolish any laws in your country, what would you do?
65. If you could remove one of your bodily functions, which would you get rid of? If you could add a bodily function, which would you add?
66. If you could add one thing to the sky, what would it be?
67. If you could travel the stars with aliens for the rest of your life, but never see your family and friends again, would you?
68. If you could be the one to have invented something, what would you have liked to have invented?
69. Would you rather everyone around you be constantly annoying, or to be constantly annoying to everyone?
70. If you became a member of the royal family for a week, what would you do with it?
71. Pixar Animation Studios have a cereal bar that is stocked with every cereal you could imagine – what kind of ‘bar’ would you have at your place of work?
72. If you had to be an inanimate object for the day, which would you choose?
73. If you had to go back in time and fight in any war, which would you choose and why? Does the probability of death come into it?
74. If everyone had a facial tick when lying, like Pinocchio’s nose growing, how would that change the way we communicate?
75. If you could have a therapy session with any person, living, dead, or fictional, who would you choose and what do you think they’d say to you?
Next: Unanswerable questions
76. If you were the leader of your country, what laws would you bring in?
77. If you could live someone else’s life for a week, whose would you choose and why?
78. If you were given a million for each toe you cut off, how many toes would you have left afterwards?
79. If you could, what inanimate object would you make edible because it just looks so tasty? A pillow? Soap? A book?
80. If you could try a job just for one day, and you’d know exactly what you were doing, which job would you choose?
81. If tomorrow were to go perfectly, what would happen on that day?
82. If you had to go color-blind or have to sleep with your eyes open, which would you choose?
83. Would you rather feel a tiny flick of a finger on your arm every hour for the rest of your life or be in a painful car accident that you would physically fully recover from?
84. If you were given the opportunity to go deeper in the ocean than anyone has ever gone, would you go?
85. If you found out that you had an identical twin, do you think you’d instantly get on or find it hard to move past the sudden revelation?
86. If you had the power to go back in time and change decisions made in casting, script, or direction of any movie series or TV series, what would you choose and what would you change?
87. If you had to live in another one, which historical era would you like to live in?
88. If you found out you were a clone, what would you do?
89. If there was a democratically elected one-world government, how long do you think it would take for it to become corrupt?
90. What tech or gadget that was in futuristic movies of the past, that haven’t come to fruition, would you choose to exist?
You might also like: Thought provoking questions
91. If you could be a fly on the wall for any conversation in history, which would you choose?
92. If you were given control of all the wealth in the world, what would you do with it?
93. If you could have dinner with anyone alive or dead, who would you choose and why?
94. If you won the lottery, what would be the first thing you’d do with your money?
95. If you could make something grow on trees, not money, what would you choose?
96. If you suddenly became a cat, what would be the first thing you’d try to do?
97. If you had to lose a room in your house, which would you choose – living room, bedroom, bathroom or kitchen?
98. What makes you the happiest? What makes you the saddest?
99. What potential scenarios for the future are you looking forward to? Which ones are you apprehensive about?
100. If you could have a photographic memory, or have the ability to pick up skills very quickly, which would you choose?
101. If you could get royalties from any novel, song, TV show, movie, or stage play, which would you choose?
102. Do you think the world would be better without caffeine or without alcohol?
103. If you could cast an actor in a movie or TV role that you think they’d be perfect for, which actor would you choose for what role?
104. If you could live your life and never have to sleep a wink, would you? You could get so much done, but how would it affect you mentally?
105. If you had to choose between freedom or security, which would you choose and why?
You might also like: Would you rather questions
106. Which argument would you like to settle once and for all?
107. If you were in danger and needed saving by a superhero, which superhero would you choose and why?
108. Would you prefer for everyone’s thoughts to be thought aloud, or shown visually on a screen on their stomachs?
109. What’s something terrible you’ve done? Would you prefer it to be posted on every billboard in your country, or to do it again?
110. If you suddenly owned and were in charge of Facebook, what would you do with it?
111. What piece of clothing would you add something to, to make it better?
112. Would you prefer to live on the Moon or Mars?
113. If you had to have an extra something on your body, what would you choose and why?
114. If you could hear one sentence from the afterlife, what do you think you’d hear?
115. If you were a living toy, like in Toy Story, would you be a wonderful child’s play-thing or would you mess with your child and freak them out?
116. If you had to make your house out of any food, which would you choose to make it out of?
117. If you owned a house in every country in the world, how would that affect your life?
118. If you could go back and change something you said or did that you regret, would you? How would it change your life for the better or worse?
119. If you made a sandwich right now, what filling would you put in it?
120. If a new color was invented, what would you call it?
Looking For More Questions?
Ethical questions – Questions that will make you think about morals and ethics in daily life.
Critical thinking questions – Sharpen your ability to ask incisive questions with these ones focused on critical thinking
Tom is a travel writer and Co-Founder of Questions About Everything. He grew up in the UK and enjoys spending his time traveling to new places, supporting Liverpool FC, and blogging about his adventures. He spent two years teaching English in Barcelona and frequently utilized question games and conversation starters as part of his lesson plans. Learn more about Tom on our About page.