With our list of interesting conversation topics, you’ll never run out of stuff to talk about!
We’ve compiled a useful compendium of questions you can ask anyone to strike up a conversation in seconds. Conversations that will allow you to get to know the other person better and find out what makes them tick.
These interesting conversation starters range in variety from ones about work, family to deep questions on science and society. All of them are ideal to ask friends and even people you don’t know too well.
There are plenty of interesting conversation topics for adults to chew over below. But a word of warning, some of these topics could lead to conversations lasting a long time!
Interesting Conversation Topics List
1. How much do you think the world will change in the next 20 years? Will it be for better or worse?
2. What classifies a friend as a friend and not just an acquaintance?
3. What’s something we do today that will seem very strange in years to come?
4. What do you think is the main reason a lot of marriages end in divorce?
5. If you could transport yourself to another place now, where would you go?
6. Do you think the metaverse will lead to more people shunning reality or not?
7. What are the top three places on your bucket list you’re eager to visit?
8. Do you feel like social media has been a net positive or a net negative for society?
9. If you could wake up tomorrow with the ability to speak another language fluently, which one would it be?
10. If you were stranded on a desert island, what five items would you want with you?
You might also like:
- Topics to talk about
- Deep conversation starters
- Questions to get to know someone
- Deep questions to ask
- Open-ended questions
11. When was the last time you really took yourself out of your comfort zone?
12. If you had the chance to join the first manned mission to Mars, would you do it?
13. What’s the most embarrassing thing that happened to you while you were at school?
14. If you could live in any historical era, which one would you choose?
15. Is it more important to you to be close to your family or have friends who feel like family?
16. Is beauty in the eye of the beholder or are some things universally beautiful?
17. If you won $1 million, what would be the first thing you’d buy?
18. What’s your go-to method of calming yourself down when you’re stressed?
You might also like: Embarrassing questions
19. What’s the kindest or most generous thing someone has ever done for you?
20. What do you think is the most significant event in human history?
21. Do you have any dreams and ambitions on how you’d like your life to look in five years?
22. If you only had a month to live, how would you spend your time?
23. Do you think it’s easier or harder to make friends as you get older?
24. If you could only listen to one song forever, what would it be?
25. If you could have your own TV talk show, what would it be called, and what would you talk about?
26. What’s your favorite thing to do in your free time?
27. When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
28. If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
29. How well do you get along with the people at your work?
30. What’s the one thing that’s always guaranteed to make you giggle?
31. Would you prefer to live in a city or on a farm?
32. What’s the best piece of advice you can give to me right now?
33. Do you feel that you are as happy as you can be right now in life?
34. Have you ever taken a considerable risk? If so, what was it?
35. What’s your favorite childhood memory?
36. What’s the funniest joke you’ve ever been told?
You might also like: Christmas conversation starters
37. Do you believe in regrets, and do you have any?
38. Who’s your ultimate role model and the person you look up to the most?
39. Do you consider yourself to be a risk taker?
40. Are you a forgiving person, or would you cut someone out quite quickly if they had wronged you?
41. What’s your love language?
42. What are you most proud of so far in your life?
43. When was the last time you watched a movie that moved you? What was it?
44. What’s something you hide about yourself, but that’s actually really interesting?
45. What are three fun facts about yourself?
46. What three words would your best friend use to describe you?
47. What’s your favorite thing to listen to? Do you like podcasts?
48. Do you ever have any recurring dreams, and do you ever look into what they mean?
49. Do you consider yourself to be introverted or extroverted?
50. Do you get involved with politics, and did you vote at the last election?
51. Do you enjoy sport or wish you were better at any sport?
52. Do you give to charity, and if not, which would you give to?
53. What’s the most precious possession that you own and could never part with?
54. Do you think that you can be friends with your ex?
You might also like: Conversation starters for couples
55. What’s your favorite band, and have you ever seen them live?
56. If money was no object, what car would you drive?
57. Are you still friends with all of your childhood friends?
58. What’s your favorite animal to keep as a pet?
59. Would you prefer to turn back time or look to the future?
60. What social media app do you enjoy the most and spend the most time on?
61. What’s the most tear-jerking song you’ve ever heard?
62. What’s your favorite thing about nature?
63. What’s the most expensive item of clothing that you own?
64. If you had to pick a color to describe yourself, what would it be?
65. What has been the most challenging thing you have ever been through?
66. What’s your opinion on making taxes higher on sugary foods?
67. What’s the best thing about your family?
68. Do you feel it is easy to stay healthy and active; do you do it?
69. Who are you most like in your family, if anyone?
70. Would you go, or have you been to a high school reunion?
71. What’s something you believe is true that you think most people would disagree with you on?
72. What does a perfect weekend with your family look like?
Next: Dumb questions
73. If you could make one rule for every human on the planet, what would it be?
74. Do you consider yourself to be a supportive friend?
75. Who’s the weirdest person you know? why are they weird?
76. Are you good at DIY and jobs around the house; do you enjoy it?
77. Do you prefer to celebrate Thanksgiving or Christmas?
78. Do you think you make a good first impression when you meet someone?
79. What habits annoy you about people you know?
80. What small thing in your day brings you the most joy?
81. Have you changed much in the last five years,? If so, how?
82. What’s the biggest mistake you’ve ever made, and did you learn your lesson?
83. What household chores do you love and hate the most?
84. Do you prefer to receive homemade gifts or gifts bought from the shop?
85. What’s a random skill you’ve always wanted to learn but that is different from what you do now?
86. Do you care about the environment, and if so, what do you do to help?
87. Did you ever sneak out of the house at night as a child, and nobody has ever known?
88. Have you ever stalked someone on social media?
89. If you were to go back to college or university, what would you study?
90. Have you ever had the urge to do something illegal?
You might also like: Rapid fire questions
91. If you could get away with anything, what would you like to do?
92. Have you ever been to see a live comedian?
93. Do you follow celebrity scandals, and which is your favorite?
94. What’s a combination of food you love that other people might find weird?
95. What did you last spend money on?
96. If I gave you $20 and asked you to get me a gift, what would you buy for me?
97. What are you most likely to be arrested for?
98. What do you wish you did every day but never get round to?
99. What do you think about meditation, and have you ever done it?
100. What keeps you awake at night?
101. What keeps you motivated in life?
102. What’s the worst personality trait you’ve inherited from your parents?
103. How would you describe the relationship between us?
104. Are you a spiritual person, and if so, what practices do you carry out?
105. What talents have you got that you are most proud of?
106. Do you feel that you have had an interesting life, if so what makes it interesting?
107. Has anyone tried to chat you up with a cheesy chat-up line?
108. Do you remember how we met?
109. Who would you like to swap lives with for a day?
110. What’s your most favorite restaurant?
111. What’s the most embarrassing thing you’ve ever done?
112. What’s the most romantic thing you’ve ever done for yourself?
113. Are there any upcoming events in your life that you’re looking forward to?
114. What’s your favorite word?
115. What are your plans for the weekend?
116. What are your beliefs about zoos?
117. What do you think would make you closer to your loved ones?
118. What’s a language you love to hear spoken even if you don’t speak it?
119. What’s been the best year of your life so far?
120. What’s the earliest memory you can vividly remember?
121. What is your favorite way to spend a Sunday?
122. Do you have a bucket list, and if so, what’s on it?
123. Do you follow the mainstream news?
124. Do you have any favorite YouTubers?
125. If you could come back as an animal, what animal would you choose?
126. What nicknames do you have?
You might also like: Questions to ask old people
127. Have you ever investigated your zodiac sign? Do you feel you’re typical of your sign?
128. What’s the most interesting book you’ve ever read?
129. Have you ever had a crush on a schoolteacher?
130. How do you think you have grown as a person in the last five years?
131. What do you aim to improve about yourself in the next year?
132. When was the last time someone hurt your feelings?
133. What’s the stupidest thing you’ve ever done?
134. Who was the last person you texted?
135. What’s your most-used emoji?
136. What world issue do you feel strongly and passionate about?
137. Do you feel there is ever a right time to tell a lie?
138. Would you prefer to live in a hot climate or a cool climate?
139. What are some of your favorite activities to do with friends when you’re at home?
140. Did you ever have an imaginary friend when you were little?
141. Would you ever go on a blind date, or have you ever been on one?
142. What was your dream job when you were growing up, and have you managed to pursue it?
143. What are your biggest fears in life?
144. Have you ever taken part in an adrenaline type sport like bungee jumping? If not, would you?
145. If you had to raise $1000 for charity, how would you fundraise?
146. Do you think people see the real you in social situations?
147. Do you have a journaling practice, or would you start one?
148. What compliment do you receive from your loved ones most often?
149. When you are alone, what do you enjoy doing the most?
150. What’s the most beautiful song you’ve heard?
Looking For More Questions?
Yes or no questions – A quick-fire set of questions that should lead to some fascinating conversations.
Funny questions to ask – These questions are guaranteed to make you and your friends laugh!