Open-ended questions for kids are a great way to get them talking and using their imagination. The way these questions are structured is perfect for developing deeper conversations.
When you ask one of our open-ended questions for children, you don’t know the answer the child might give. As the question leaves open many different possibilities, this allows kids to explore the limits of their imagination.
This is why we have many questions that involve topics such as space, animals and superheroes. These are sure to engage children and get them using their brains, and by extension, talking.
If you’re looking for open-ended questions for preschoolers and higher age groups up to teens, this list is right up your street!
Open-Ended Questions For Kids List
- If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
2. Do you think it would be a good idea to bring dinosaurs back to life if it was possible?
3. If you could trade places with anyone for a day, who would it be?
4. Who do you think would win in a fight between a leopard and a bear?
5. If you could combine any two animals to make a brand new animal, what animals would you choose?
6. What do you think would be more fun: swimming with dolphins or flying with birds?
7. If you could travel back in time, what period of history would like to visit?
8. If you were gifted $500, what would you do with the money?
9. What do you associate [name of color here] with?
10. If you could design your own island, what would it look like?
You might also like: Never have I ever questions for kids
11. If you could transform into any animal at will, which animal would it be and why?
12. If you were only allowed to eat one type of pizza for the rest of your life, what would it be?
13. What animal part would you most like to have? Wings? Tail? Why?
14. Do you think Batman could beat Superman in a fight?
15. If you could give $1000 to any charity, which would you choose?
You might also like:
- Philosophical questions for kids
- Questions to ask a 5 year old
- Would you rather questions for kids
- Icebreaker questions for kids
- Fun questions for kids
16. If you could give yourself a new name, what would you call yourself?
17. If you could go on an adventure to anywhere in the world, where would it be?
18. Do you think it would be fun to travel to Mars on a spaceship or not?
19. If you had to put something in a time capsule from your home, what would it be?
20. What’s the nicest thing one of your friends has ever done for you?
21. If you were tasked to create a new sport, what would it involve?
22. What makes you different from everyone else?
23. If you could speak another language perfectly, which one would it be?
24. What’s the first thing you think about when you wake up?
25. If you could get rid of one class in school, which one would it be?
You might also like: Get to know you questions for kids
26. If you started a band, what would you call it?
27. What three words would you use to describe your parents?
28. If your pet could speak, what do you think they’d say?
29. Do you think flying cars are a good idea or not?
30. What’s the best fact you’ve learned at school?
31. If you could change one thing about your school, what would it be?
32. How do you stop yourself from becoming bored?
33. What do you think the hardest thing about being a parent is?
34. If you could swap places with your parents, what’s the first thing you’d do?
35. If you could spend a day in a museum or a day at the beach, what would you prefer to do?
36. What do you think would happen if we brought woolly mammoths back to life?
37. What rule is the most difficult to follow in school?
38. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
39. What’s the worst food you’ve ever eaten? Why was it so bad?
40. If you could live on the moon, would you go or stay on Earth?
Next: This or that questions for kids
41. If aliens landed on Earth, what do you think they would make of us?
42. If someone made a movie about your life, what would you call it?
43. If you could keep any animal as a pet, which one would it be?
44. What’s the one superpower you’d love to have?
45. What would be the present you could receive for Christmas?
46. If you could create your own cartoon, what would it look like?
47. Who would win in a fight between Darth Vader and Superman?
48. If you could play any sport as a career, which one would it be?
49. What’s the funniest YouTube video you’ve ever seen?
50. If you could design your perfect house, what would it look like?
51. Why do you think some people prefer cats to dogs or dogs to cats?
52. Why are games fun?
53. What do you think would happen if the internet stopped working forever?
54. What makes you who you are?
55. Do you like being a big brother/sister?
56. What are some things that make you mad?
57. What would happen if it was dark all day?
58. What do you think would happen if there were no trees?
59. If you could teleport to any place on Earth, where would you go?
60. What are the best ways to be kind to someone?
Next: Conversation starters for kids
61. What makes a good friend?
62. What would you do if you found a magic wand?
63. What does your dream day look like?
64. What do you think Santa does for the rest of the year when it’s not Christmas?
65. What do you think is your best quality?
66. What do you think you’re better than most people at?
67. If you could have one wish, what would it be?
68. How would you describe a car to an alien?
69. Do you think you’d be scared of ghosts or do you think they’d be afraid of you?
70. Do you think we’d be able to understand aliens if we encountered them?
You might also like: Most likely to questions for kids
71. When you feel sad, what cheers you up?
72. Tell me about something I never knew you did when you were little?
73. If you could decorate your house from top to bottom, what would it look like?
74. What cartoon do you like to watch when you’re bored?
75. What’s the most enjoyable thing you’ve done with your family this year?
76. What are some of the things you enjoy doing with your family at weekends?
77. Do you think it’s better to always be honest or not?
78. Have you ever had a really scary dream? What happened?
79. Can you describe the most amazing place you’ve ever visited?
80. What would you do if you were invisible for a day?
Next: Yes or no questions for kids
81. Why do you think some people don’t like animals?
82. What made you laugh today?
83. What accomplishment are you proudest of?
84. How do you think the world will be different when you’re an adult?
85. What’s one thing you’d like to change about the world when you’re grown up?
86. What’s the nicest thing you’ve done for your friends?
87. What’s your earliest memory?
88. Do you think it’s ever ok to lie?
89. What’s the funniest thing you’ve ever seen?
90. What do you think might happen if animals could speak to humans?
You might also like: Critical thinking questions for kids
91. How could you show your dog you love them?
92. What situations do you think would make a turtle go into its shell?
93. What magical power would you like to have?
94. Who’s the person you look up to the most? Why?
95. What’s something you can do tomorrow that will make your day better?
96. Why do you think the sky is blue?
97. Would you rather be like your Mom or your Dad?
98. Do you like watching funny movies or scary movies?
99. Do you think it would be fun to be an insect or not?
100. Why do you think chocolate tastes so good?
Next: True or false questions for kids
101. Do you prefer warm or cold weather?
102. Do you think it would be fun to have three legs?
103. Do you think ghosts are scarier than vampires?
104. What do you think the world would be like if aliens were living among us?
105. What makes playing video games fun?
106. What do you like the most about watching movies?
107. What do you think we could do to stop plastic from getting into the ocean?
108. What do you enjoy the most about doing activities with your family?
109. How do you think a helicopter stays in the air?
110. What’s your favorite part of the day?
111. If we discovered a new animal, and you got to name it, what would you call it?
112. What does the word freedom mean to you?
113. What do you think is the best invention ever?
114. Tell me your least favorite word and the reason you don’t like it?
115. What do you enjoy the most about eating ice cream?
116. If you had the power to stop time, what would you do if you used it?
117. If you had access to Disneyworld all by yourself, what’s the first thing you’d do?
118. If you could add one thing to the sky, what would it be?
119. Why do you think grass is green?
120. If you became a member of the Royal Family for a week, what would you do?
121. If you were made the leader of your country, what laws would you introduce?
Looking For More Questions?
Bible questions for kids – Help your children brush up their knowledge of the Bible with this set of questions.
All about me questions for kids – If you want to understand how your child really sees the world, these are the questions you should ask.
Tom is a travel writer and Co-Founder of Questions About Everything. He grew up in the UK and enjoys spending his time traveling to new places, supporting Liverpool FC, and blogging about his adventures. He spent two years teaching English in Barcelona and frequently utilized question games and conversation starters as part of his lesson plans. Learn more about Tom on our About page.