Our collection of deep questions that make you think will have you scratching your head and engaging in some interesting conversations with your friends and family.
This list contains many thinking questions that will have you pondering life and talking about some fascinating topics and some light-hearted ones too.
We’ve added some fun questions that make you think as well, which will provide some lives and some intriguing answers.
We guarantee there are plenty of things that make you think below, so if you’re looking for some questions to spark deep and engaging conversations, this is the list for you!
Best Questions That Make You Think
This is our best collection of questions to make you think about a wide variety of topics.
They’re similar in nature to our list of thought provoking questions and will lead to some interesting conversations that could go on for hours!
1. Would you prefer to travel back in time and make changes or travel into the future and see what’s in store for you?
2. What do you think is the main thing in the world that causes humans to suffer the most?
3. Do you think being a good person is something you’re brought up with or something that’s just part of your human nature no matter your circumstances?
4. Do you believe in karma and that people who wrong others will get the same treatment in return?
5. Would the world be a better place if all leaders were women?
6. Is it easier to hate or to love? Why?
7. Do you think that how a person looks influences how successful they will be in their life?
8. Is it immoral that there are many in the world that live extravagant lives while others suffer?
9. If you give to charity so that you can post it on social media, is that selfish?
10. Do you believe in love at first sight, or do you think lust comes first?
11. What’s the most significant historical event to have happened in your lifetime?
12. If you could go back in time and change anything about your past, what would you change and why?
13. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received in your life, and who did you receive it from?
14. Can climate change be managed to prevent disaster, or is it too late?
15. If you oversaw the world, what one rule would you apply to everybody to make the world a better place?
16. Do you get more meaning in your life by helping others or by helping yourself?
You might also like: Hardest questions to answer
17. Does a belief in free will make you more or less happy?
18. Do you feel it’s easier to express love or hate? What takes up more of your energy?
19. Do you think it’s weak to cry, or do you feel that recognising your emotions makes you a strong person?
20. Do you think weapons of mass destruction protect humans or cause more damage to humans?
21. What’s something that’s illegal that you think should be made legal?
22. Do you think it’s humanly possible to be a perfect person?
23. Do you think it’s better to be always brutally honest, or are white lies necessary sometimes?
24. What’s your definition of freedom?
25. If you could write a message to your younger self, what would you say?
26. Do you think there’s anything you would change about how you were brought up as a child?
27. Are you pleased with the way your life is now, or is there anything you would change to bring you more fulfilment?
28. Do you think you spend enough time focusing on your goals and dreams, or do you feel you focus more on making others in your life happy?
29. What do you think happens to us after we die, and have you ever had a near-death experience? Are you scared of death?
30. Is suffering an important part of being human?
31. What legacy do you want to leave on this planet, and do you think you’re working towards that right now if you’re honest with yourself?
32. What were you not taught in school that you think would have been helpful for you to know as an adult?
You might also like: Unanswerable questions
33. Do you believe you enhance the lives of others around you? If so, in what way?
34. How do you think the other people in your life would describe you behind your back?
35. What are you holding onto that’s holding you back?
36. What do you think the state of the natural environment will be in 20 years? Are we doing enough to protect it?
37. Do you believe in aliens? What do you think is out there in the universe?
38. Do you think humans have added to the beauty of this planet or destroyed it?
39. If pigs are said to be more intelligent than dogs, why have humans got away with eating pigs on such a mass scale? Why don’t we have pigs as domesticated animals?
40. If the government is aware unhealthy foods are causing lots of the population to be sick, why are some of these foods still legal?
Fun Questions That Make You Think
41. Do you think that oranges are called oranges because of the colour orange or that the colour orange was named after oranges?
42. Why do you think we call the planet ‘earth’ when most of it is made up of water? Why do we not call the earth ‘ocean’?
43. Do you think sarcasm is a funny form of humour?
44. Why do we refer to trousers as a pair of trousers when there is only one item of clothing? The same for scissors? A pair of socks makes sense, but the others don’t?
45. Why do you think some countries use car horns as a courtesy, and others use car horns to express road rage?
46. Why do you think we never create mouse flavoured cat food if cats hunt mice?
47. If you could have dinner with one famous person, who would you choose and why? What would you ask them about?
48. If a deaf person has to go to court, is it still called a hearing?
49. If you could earn a living from wasting time, would this be a waste of time?
50. Do you think it is right that managers get paid more money when technically they do less manual work?
51. Why does a round pizza always come in a square box?
Next: Mind blowing questions
52. Why do you think so many people fear spiders more than any other animal?
53. Why do you think people are so casual about the fact that parrots can talk, lizards can grow their tails back, and spiders can weave silk from their bodies?
54. Do you think there is someone out there who looks identical to you?
55. Why does Iceland look green and Greenland look to be a land of ice?
56. If you cry in the rain, will you be noticed?
57. If a person gets up in the middle of an operation, will they be in pain?
58. If coconut oil comes from coconut, then where does the baby oil come from?
59. Why do you think a doughnut is called a doughnut when it doesn’t contain nuts generally?
60. Why do you think we call service in restaurants waiters when the customer sits and waits?
61. Do you think dogs fetch a ball to make them happy or because they think it makes you happy to bring the ball back?
62. If money doesn’t grow on trees then why do banks have branches?
63. Why do people pay to go up tall buildings and then put money in binoculars to look at things on the ground?
64. Can you be a closet claustrophobic?
65. If a chronic liar tells you he is a chronic liar do you believe him?
66. If the Duracell Bunny attacks someone, is it charged with battery?
67. Why isn’t phonetic spelt the way it sounds?
68. Why aren’t apartments called togetherments?
69. If you arrest a mime does he have the right to remain silent?
Deep Questions That Make You Think
This section of questions is more introspective and contemplative in nature than the rest.
Some of them are philosophical questions while others are deep and ask questions of humanity and everyday life.
70. Is there anything you agree to do quite a lot that you don’t want to and feel quite resentful for?
71. Do you believe that life does begin at the end of your comfort zone?
72. What are your thoughts on lab-grown meat? Do you think this is a way to save the planet?
73. Is there such a thing as knowledge if everything we know is subject to debate?
74. Does life require a purpose?
75. We all know that life is short so short, so then why do we spend so much time dwelling on things that happened in the past?
76. By refusing to hold a position on something, do you, by default, accept all positions or reject all positions?
77. What book have you read that has changed your life the most?
78. Is a person ever truly evil? If so, are they born that way?
79. What’s a life lesson that you’ve learned the hard way?
80. What is the one thing that worries you the most, which is on your mind most days?
81. Is surveillance ever a bad thing if you have nothing to hide?
82. Do you think you are somebody who finds it easy to let go of the past? Or do you dwell on the past?
83. Does modern life give us more freedom or less freedom than in the past?
84. Do you think being famous would automatically make you happy?
85. Are you happy and fulfilled with the way you spend your time? If not, what would you change?
86. At what point does striving for a better life turn from healthy to unhealthy?
87. Does instant connectivity and communication bring people together or push them apart?
88. What’s been the proudest moment of your life so far?
89. Does higher academic intelligence make you more or less happy?
90. Do you think adversity makes you a wiser person?
91. Would you rather lose all your memories or never be able to make new memories?
92. Is patriotism a good thing or does it lead to mistrust and dislike of foreigners?
93. Do you think it’s worse never to try or to try and fail?
94. Is there a different generation or era you would have preferred to have been born into?
95. Are science and religion compatible?
96. Do you think it is better to have lots of friends, who you are close to, or a couple of very close friends?
97. What do you think is the most useless emotion?
98. Do you think it’s better to give solid advice to struggling people or be a shoulder to cry on for them?
99. If money was no object, how would you describe your perfect life situation?
Questions That Make You Question Life
100. Are we the source of our own problems? Do we create problems in our minds to give us something to focus on?
101. Is it better to be a kind-hearted person and help people with your personality, or be quite rude and give away lots of money?
102. Do you think you enhance the lives of people you spend time with?
103. Is there a ‘before’ the universe? If so, what did it look like?
104. Can a single thought ever influence the physical world?
105. Where do a persons confidence and self-worth come from?
106. What do you think would be the cause of human extinction?
107. What would you want to be remembered for after you died?
108. Do you think humans would be more or less productive if a human life span were 200 years?
109. Would you want warning about your death or die suddenly without knowing?
110. What have you experienced in your life you think every person on the planet should have the opportunity to experience?
111. Have you been through anything in your life that was so bad you wouldn’t wish it on your worst enemy?
112. How do you know when you’re living life to the fullest?
113. Do you think jealousy is ever healthy, is being jealous of somebody a good motivation?
114. Do you think we get more meaning out of life from who we are as a person or what we achieve in our careers?
115. Are some questions best left unanswered?
116. Do you think any other animals on the planet are as self-aware as humans and realise what they think?
117. Can any aspect of any ‘thing’ ever be perfect or is perfection an illusion?
118. Why do you think people find it so hard to engage in health-promoting activities and so easy to do things that are bad for their health?
119. Is it ever justified to take a human life?
120. If the human race was put on trial, what would you say on the stand to defend us?
121. Do you believe the customer is always right?
122. Do you think there may ever be another social media app as big as Facebook or Instagram?
123. If we always feel good when we have done something for somebody else, can we ever be selfless in a goodwill gesture?
124. Do you think humans put too much time and energy into avoiding offending others?
125. If nobody could be offended, do you think we would automatically lose our ability to worry about offending anybody?
126. Is a mother-child bond automatically stronger than a father-child bond?
127. If everybody wants to be happy and everybody aims for the same thing, why is there so much violence and hate in the world?
128. Do you think it’s ever possible to be happy with how you look or is a society designed to keep us unhappy to consume products to change ourselves?
129. Do you think social media is helpful or damaging?
130. Are personal boundaries necessary or do they restrict the full expression of love?
Looking For More Questions?
Existential questions – These questions will have you pondering some of the biggest and most consequential you can ask about life.
Ethical questions – A selection of questions on the rights and wrongs of the world.
Juicy questions to ask friends – Some interesting questions that could have some revealing answers.
Self-reflection questions – A set of questions that will turn your critical eye on yourself.