These questions to ask potential roommates are perfect if you’re interviewing people for a spare room and wondering what to ask them.
We’ve included questions on this roommate questionnaire related to cleaning, work and past experiences living with others.
All of these things to ask a potential roommate listed below will give you a better idea of their personality and character, which will help you to decide who to live with.
Our list of roommate questions will provide you with every type of question you can imagine and help you wade your interviews with ease.
Questions To Ask Potential Roommates List
1. What are your biggest pet peeves when it comes to living with someone?
2. What are your deal-breakers when it comes to living with others?
3. Have you faced any challenging situations while living with others in the past?
4. What’s the one chore you hate doing around the house?
5. Do you have any beliefs that may come into conflict with others in the apartment?
6. What’s the perfect temperature for any home?
7. Do you think we would get along well together?
8. Do you like to smoke or vape?
9. Do you use the shared living spaces a lot or do you tend to stay in your room?
10. What feedback would your previous landlord/landlady give if I asked them about you?
You might also like:
- Questions to ask friends
- Questions to get to know someone
- Personal questions to ask
- Topics to talk about
- Good questions to ask
11. Are you still on good terms with previous roommates?
12. In the past, have you ever struggled to pay your rent on time?
You might also like: Deep conversation starters
13. Are you someone who enjoys cooking? If so how often do you cook?
14. Do you tend to socialise inside the house or go out and meet friends?
15. Do you work any anti-social shift patterns?
16. Do you have any other monetary commitments to worry about besides the rent?
17. Would you describe yourself as an introvert or an extrovert?
18. Do you ever work from home?
19. Do you have or would you want any pets in the future?
20. What’s your weekend routine?
Next: Have you ever questions
21. Have you ever had any difficulty with previous roommates?
22. Do you like to watch TV shows/films with your roommates?
23. What time do you usually wake up and go to bed?
24. What’s your daily routine?
25. How messy or tidy are you?
26. What things cause you the biggest stress in life?
27. What’s your relationship like with your Mum and Dad?
28. What’s your worst habit?
29. What do you do for a living?
30. At what time do you normally cook your dinner?
You might also like: Dumb questions
31. How often do you travel?
32. How often do you cook at home?
33. Is it important for you to get to know your neighbors?
34. What’s your favorite way to relax?
35. If you’re feeling stressed, what’s one of the main things you do to destress?
36. What do you want in a roommate?
37. What time do you usually head to bed?
38. What do you think it’s like for others to be your roommate?
39. Are you a morning person or a night owl?
40. How often do you drink alcohol?
41. Do you have any allergies?
42. Are there any foods you can’t eat, or cause you issues?
43. How often do you think your friends will come over to visit?
44. Are you dating anyone at the moment?
45. What’s the way you normally solve conflicts?
46. How were your experiences with roommates in your previous apartments?
47. How long do you plan to stay?
48. How would you prioritize the following: Rest, work, play, clean?
49. Have you ever had to ask another roommate to cover your rent?
50. What are your hobbies?
You might also like: Open-ended questions
51. Do you have enough money put away for an unanticipated expense or emergency?
52. How do you feel about me, or other roommates, having people over?
53. What does a typical Monday to Friday look like for you?
54. Do you have any experience with roommates?
55. What items are you planning to bring with you for the shared living spaces?
56. Do you give some advance when inviting people over?
57. Would you like to hang out with your roommates?
58. How often do you like to clean?
59. Have you ever lived away from home before?
60. What does your weekly schedule look like?
61. What’s your favorite TV show?
62. What do you like to do for fun?
63. How would you like to split the cost of shared items?
64. What time do you usually head to bed?
65. What days during the week are you the busiest?
66. How often will you be sleeping somewhere else?
67. What’s your Instagram, Facebook, Twitter etc.?
68. Do you consider yourself to be organized?
69. Where are you from?
70. Do you like to travel?
71. What’s the best thing about living with others for you?
72. Are you keen to go out and do activities with your roommates or not?
73. Would you consider making dinner with your roommates on occasion?
74. What are your cleaning habits?
75. Do you have any references?
76. Can you put down a deposit?
77. How often do you drink at home?
78. Have you had any incidents with past roommates?
79. What’s your idyllic apartment vibe/aesthetic?
80. How quickly do you clean up after you’ve cooked?
You might also like: Interesting conversation topics
81. What are your typical working hours?
82. What do you expect from a roommate?
83. What are some of your past living challenges?
84. What’s your favorite cuisine to eat and/or cook?
85. What challenges have you faced in the past when living with someone?
86. How would you describe yourself in one sentence?
87. What’s your favorite meal to cook?
88. If you could meet someone from history, who would you want to meet and why?
89. What’s the kindest thing a previous roommate has done for you?
90. If you could live anywhere for a month, where would it be?
91. Do you think we’d get along well?
Looking For More Questions?
Random questions to ask – Looking for an assortment of questions that might surprise people? Check these ones out.
Rapid-fire questions – A quickfire set of questions that will lead to some interesting answers.
Embarrassing questions – Embarrass your roommates and your friends with these questions.