These secret Santa questions are perfect if you’re putting together a gift exchange for your friends, family or work colleagues.
Putting together a Christmas gift questionnaire isn’t easy so we’ve done the hard work for you. We have printable secret Santa questionnaires ready to go, or you could use the questions below to create your own.
Our secret Santa questions for adults and kids will ensure that you get a better idea of what the person you’re buying a gift for is like and would appreciate as a gift.
So whether your secret Santa is for coworkers, friends or family, our unique list of questions will ensure it all goes smoothly.
Table of Contents
How To Organize a Secret Santa
If you haven’t organized a secret Santa before it can feel a bit overwhelming. Thankfully, it’s not as hard as you might think. Here’s a quick and easy guide to setting up a secret Santa gift exchange.
- First, you need to make a list of everyone involved, write down their names, fold up the pieces of paper they’re written on and put them into a hat or a bowl.
- The bowl is then passed around and everyone takes one piece of paper out of the hat which will reveal who they are buying a gift for. If that person picks themselves then they should put it back in, mix the bowl and pick again.
- Once everyone has a person they’re buying for, they keep the name secret and don’t reveal it to anyone.
- A price limit is then set for the amount you can spend on a gift. You can also set this up before the first step, but it’s important to have one in place, as not everyone has the same budget over Christmas and this levels the playing field.
- As buying gifts isn’t easy, a good idea is to have everyone fill out a questionnaire before everyone is assigned a name. You could use the questionnaires themselves as the names in the hat/bowl.
- Once everyone has bought a gift, you then need to set a time and a place to exchange gifts. This could be a workplace, an office party, a bar, or at someone’s house. Be sure to give everyone a couple of weeks’ notice so they have ample time to get a gift.
Secret Santa Questions
Below is a list of questions you can ask your secret Santa to better understand what gifts they might like. We have a range of printable secret Santa questionnaires to go with them that you can use if you’re looking for something to refer back to.
Favorite Things Questions
- What’s your favorite food?
- What’s your favorite drink?
- What’s your favorite TV show?
- What’s your favorite color?
- What’s your favorite type of book?
- What are your favorite brands?
- What’s your favorite sport?
- What’s your favorite movie?
- What’s your favorite candy?
- What’s your favorite flower?
- What’s your favorite scent?
- What’s your favorite sports team?
- What’s your favorite hobby?
- What’s your favorite snack?
- What’s your favorite animal?
- What’s your favorite toy?
- What’s your favorite game?
- Who’s your favorite genre of music?
- What’s your favorite holiday?
- What’s your favorite store to shop at?
This or That Questions
- Coffee or tea?
- Store-bought gift or homemade gift
- Book or audiobook?
- Sweet or salty?
- Chocolate or cake?
- Elves or reindeer?
- Apple or Microsoft
- Gold or silver?
- Jewellery or clothing?
- Beer or wine?
- Lotion or chapstick?
- Scarf or blanket?
- Books or toys?
- Hip-hop or rock and roll?
- City or country?
- Sweet or sour?
- Modern or antique?
- Winter or summer?
- Cats or dogs?
- Colorful or neutral?
Find Out More
- What’s your guilty pleasure?
- What’s your astrological sign?
- What’s the last TV show you binge-watched?
- What would the title of your autobiography be?
- What’s the wallpaper of your cellphone?
- What five albums would take to a desert island?
- What board game do you enjoy playing the most?
- What gadget have you always wanted to but never got around to?
- What’s the best place you’ve visited?
- If you set up a business, what would it be in?
- Do you prefer being indoors or outdoors?
- Do you consider yourself to be religious?
- What do you like to do in your spare time?
- What’s something you could do with more of?
- Do you collect anything?
- Do you have a motivational quote you keep going back to?
- What cause are you most passionate about?
- Who was your hero growing up?
- What comfort food do you enjoy eating the most?
- What does your perfect day look like?
- Do you have any goals for the new year?
- Is there somewhere that always cheers you up whenever you visit?
- Who are you closest to in your family?
- Do you consider yourself to be an introvert or an extrovert?
- Have you ever wanted to accomplish something but were never able to?
- What’s a subject that you find fascinating?
- What’s your favorite thing about Christmas?
- What book has resonated with you the most?
- Are you looking to learn anything new this year?
- What activity do you enjoy doing the most?
If you want a secret Santa questionnaire that combines some of the above fields into one, then the questionnaire below is good. It’s more suited to kids, but you could use it for close friends too.
Looking For More Questions?
Christmas Conversation Starters – A handy list of talking points you can use at the dinner table at Christmas
Christmas Would You Rather Questions – A festive version of the fun party game that’s perfect to play with your family.