This article outlines the best conversation starters for texting. The aim is to give you a variety of good conversation topics for texting that you can choose from.
Too many articles give a list of questions that can’t actually be used to get a text conversation going because they come across as weird if they’re sent to someone out of the blue.
This article is different.
Whether you are chatting with someone you already know or trying to get something going with a new person you recently met, this article has everything you need.
That’s because we’re providing real examples you can use rather than a pointless list of irrelevant questions.
How To Use This Article
- Use the tips in the first section to understand how to get the initial text conversation going
- Use our extensive list of example questions to keep the conversation going
Let’s jump right into these text conversation starters!
Good Conversation Topics for Texting
If it isn’t obvious, unless you have something witty or reaction-provoking to send as your initial message, go with something safe. Start with “hey, how’s it going?” or similar. This breaks the ice and can be followed up with a question or comment that has the following format:
- Ask general get-to-know-you questions about their family, hobbies, upcoming plans, and work-life.
- Ask a question relating to a recent shared experience such as a night out or event.
- Find out their passions and ask follow-up questions. People love to talk about things they like.
- Ask for an opinion on something happening in the world.
- Show interest in something you know they are interested in.
- Find out their goals and ask questions/offer help.
Tip: Try to ask open-ended questions that provoke a reaction, allow for storytelling, or encourage an opinion to be shared.
Conversation Starters For Texting
Here is a big list of example questions you can use as conversation starters over text.
- Do you have plans this weekend?
- How do you like to spend your Sundays
- What do you usually get up to at the weekend?
- Who are your closest friends and where did you meet?
- Is anything big on your bucket list this year?
- What are your guilty pleasures?
- Have you got any unusual phobias?
- Do you have any travel plans coming up? I really want to visit (insert location).
- What’s your favorite time of the week?
- Do you have a big family?
- Where did you grow up?
- What’s your favorite restaurant in the area?
- How would your friends describe you?
- Want to play two truths and a lie?
- So… when are you going to let me take you out on a date?
- Works tough at the moment… have any good tips for how to relieve stress?
- Looking good in that latest Insta post… what were you up to?
- Any funny first date stories to share?
- Are you seeing anyone currently?
- Do you prefer nights in or nights out?
- I really want to check out that new (insert place), do you want to go together sometime?
- What do you look for in a (guy/girl)?
Shared Experiences (Adapt as Required):
- How was your night out?
- It was good to see you at the gym, what are your goals at the moment?
- What did you think of the (insert event) last night?
- Are you planning on going to (insert event)?
- Do you enjoy your job or would you rather be doing something else?
- Are you working on anything interesting at the moment?
- What did you want to be when you were growing up?
- How was the networking event?
- What’s the deal with your job, are you working towards a promotion or a different role?
- Do you get to work remotely?
Finding Out Their Interests:
- What kind of music are you into?
- What topic could you talk about for hours?
- Do you play any sports?
- What’s your favorite show to binge-watch?
- If you could have dinner with three people dead or alive, who would you choose?
- What did you think about the (insert news event)?
- I’ve got the evening free, any good Netflix suggestions?
- Do you have any controversial opinions?
- What are the top cafes in (insert where he/she lives)?
- Hey… I need help choosing between (insert thing) and (insert another thing)?
- Do you prefer holidays with beaches or mountains?
- Where’s the most beautiful place you’ve ever visited?
- Who inspires you?
- Can you recommend any good podcasts? I have a long drive ahead of me tomorrow.
- Are you working towards anything with your training (in the gym, running, etc.)?
- Are you learning anything new at the moment?
- Is there anything new you want to try this year, but haven’t had the time for yet?
- Have you ever tried learning another language?
- Are you overly competitive about anything?
- Who’s the troublemaker in your friendship group?
- If you were an animal what would you be?
- Do you have any unusual heroes?
- What’s the worst present you’ve ever received?
Looking For More Conversation Starters?
We hope you’ve enjoyed these text conversation starters. Feel free to check out some of the other awesome posts on Questions About Everything!
Topics To Talk About – In-depth article with 40 recommended conversation topics.
Online Dating Questions – A useful article if you’re chatting to someone on a dating site/app.
Flirty Questions To Ask Your Crush – Full of awesome conversation starters!
Dinner Conversation Starters – Perfect talking points to use with your family and friends at dinner.
Funny Conversation Starters – A set of funny talking pints that are perfect to be used via text!