If you’re looking for topics to talk about, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve got a wide variety of talking points for lots of different topics.
Whether you’re with friends or family, there are always moments when you wonder what to talk about. We’ve all been there.
That’s why we’ve compiled this list of interesting things to talk about. From politics to sports and some random topics to talk about, we have talking points for almost every subject!
If you’re struggling for stuff to talk about with those close to you or wondering what you should ask someone you’ve just met, this list of topics will come in handy!
Topics To Talk About List
- Do you think ‘liberal’ and ‘conservative’ are good labels anymore?
- Where do you lie on the political spectrum?
- Do you think democracy is in danger from populism?
- Is it important to follow politics or can you be too informed about what’s happening?
- Do you think it’s ever possible to have truly free speech?
- Are you religious? If so, which religion do you ascribe to? If not, what religion would you choose if you had to?
- Do you think religion is a net positive or negative for society?
- If people believe in some parts of a religion, but not all of it, is it really faith or commitment, or is it just picking and choosing nice ideas to believe in for comfort but not really believing in any of it?
- Will there come a point where religions die off or will they always have a place in society?
- Is there any difference between people identifying as a Jedi or believing in the Flying Spaghetti Monster and believing in Christianity or Islam?
You might also like:
- Deep conversation starters
- Questions to ask old people
- Questions to ask drunk people
- Interesting conversation topics
- Thanksgiving conversation starters
- Do you think it’s important to study history?
- What’s the most interesting fact you know about your country?
- If you could live in one historical period, which would it be?
- What do you think has been the most consequential moment in recent history?
- What’s the most important lesson we can learn from history?
- What would convince you to turn vegetarian or vegan? Does the pressure on the environment or the treatment of animals give you a reason to pause at all?
- We have enough food in the world to feed everyone and yet people still starve – how would you sort out the situation so food got to everyone?
- What makes something a soup? Is cereal, soup? What makes something a salad? Is a bowl of lettuce, salad, or just a bowl of lettuce?
- The Caesar salad actually originated from a Mexican city called Tijuana, as when the Chef Caesar Cardini was hosting 4th of July celebrations, he ran out of food, so put together anything he had in the kitchen to create an entirely new salad, that became a huge success – what strange food origins do you know about?
- The stickers on apples are actually edible, not to say they are necessarily good for you, but won’t do you any harm – if food packaging was actually edible, how many people do you think would just munch right through it?
- What’s your favorite sport to watch?
- If you were to be a professional athlete, which sport would you play? What do you think your life would look like?
- What do you think about transgender women athletes, as in biological males who identify as women, competing in women’s sports?
- Do you support any sports team? How much support do you give them – just shouting at the TV when they play or do you buy season tickets and go and watch all their games? How much of a part of your life does supporting them take up?
- If you could add any sport to the Olympics, which would you add?
- What do you think about the way our culture ‘binges’ entertainment?
- Do you think we’ve reached peak saturation when it comes to superhero movies?
- Do you think celebrities have a duty to use their platforms and influence to speak on issues of social justice and politics?
- Do you think it’s more worth your time watching a TV show where you get emersed in a story many people have created, playing a video game where you are imagining being another and working on your cognitive function, or reading a book where you further your imagination and enter a world created by a single author?
- Why do you think countries hold different entertainment in different lights?
- What social media platform do you use the most? Is it the one you’ve always used most, or have you given up on other ones for some reason?
- How would the world be different if there was no such thing as social media?
- Since the invention of smartphones, children have become more depressed and suicidal, and it’s been directly linked to them using social media – how would you combat this problem, if you had the power to enact change?
- How would social media be different if you were told everything about the person you’re speaking to – the joys and hardships of their life, their opinions, and their interests before you speak to them?
- What are your thoughts on social media platforms blocking certain opinions or viewpoints? Is it their right as an independent company or with the monopoly on virtual communication, are they more like a ‘public space’ now? Is it good for a social media company to decide what is ‘right’ and ‘wrong’, and what about the blocked ideas that are later seen to be more credible like the lab leak theory of Covid-19?
You might also like: Random questions
- If you could volunteer for any charity, which one would it be?
- Which charities mission is close to your heart?
- Do you feel charities have a positive impact on the world?
- Do you donate to any charities?
- Do you think there are some charities that aren’t worth supporting?
- Do you speak any other languages apart from your native tongue?
- If you could speak any language perfectly, which would it be?
- Do you think it’s importan to be able to speak multiple languages?
- What do you think is the most useful language to know?
- What do you think would be the hardest language for you to learn?
- Do you think free will exists?
- If freedom is being able to do what you want, are humans freer than animals?
- Does absolute power corrupt absolutely?
- Is there anything in life that can be truly classed as objective?
- Is nature or nurture more important when it comes to our character?
Next: Philosophical questions
Jobs and Careers
- Is your current job your dream job?
- How long have you been working toward the job you are currently doing? Does this have any effect on your thoughts of changing to another?
- What keeps you at your place of work? What would cause you to leave?
- What job do you think it would be good for you to do for a day to have a greater appreciation for the work that goes into ‘it’?
- If you achieved employee of the month every month, but with it came a pay rise every time, would you work a little less hard to let others get ahead, or wouldn’t you care if everyone started hating you?
You might also like: Questions to ask friends
- What kind of music do you like?
- If you could be in any band from the past or present, which one would you choose?
- What song is your guilty pleasure?
- What’s the best concert you’ve been to?
- What’s your favorite album?
- What’s your favorite film?
- Who’s your favorite actor/actress?
- What underrated film do you think deserves more credit?
- What’s the last movie you saw?
- What film do you always enjoy watvhing again and again?
- Do you like reading?
- If you had to recommend a book to someone you just met, which one would you choose?
- What’s the best book you’ve read this year?
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- Do you prefer buying books in a bookstore or over the internet?
- What are the top places you want to visit?
- What’s the best place you’ve ever visited?
- If you could spend a month in any country, which one would it be?
- What’s one place you visited that didn’t live up to your expectations?
- What lessons from traveling are the most important you’ve learnt during your various trips?
- What sense of humuor do you have?
- What’s your favorite comedy film?
- If you could fo and see one comedian live, who would it be?
- Do you think laughter is the best medicine?
- What’s your favorite comedy series?
- What’s the most useful app you have on your phone?
- What app eats up most of your time?
- Do you think we need an ‘app for everything’?
- What app would you recommend to someone?
- Do apps make your life easier or not?
Dating and Relationships
- What’s the best date you’ve ever been on? What was the worst date?
- Have you ever done online dating? How did it go/is it going? Who’s the strangest person you’ve met?
- Do you ever want to get married? If so, do all the marriages ending in divorce stop you from wanting to? If not, what (or who) would cause you to change your mind?
- What are your thoughts on keeping sex till marriage? Is that an outdated concept or something that has a lot of forgotten wisdom in it?
- If you could go on a date with anyone, who would you date and what would you do with them?
You might also like: Date night questions
- What’s your favorite board game?
- What game consoles did you have when you were a child?
- Do you prefer playing board games or video games?
- What’s your favorite video game?
- What do you think is the best card game to play with friends?
- How many siblings do you have?
- Are you close to your family?
- What family traditions do you have?
- Do you keep in contact with your extended family?
- Do you live close to your family?
- What was the first car you owned?
- What’s your dream car?
- Do you think self-driving cars will be commonplace in the future?
- Would you consider getting an electric car at some point?
- What do you think is the worst car you could drive?
- Did you have a pet growing up?
- What exotic animal would you love to have as a pet?
- Are you a cat or a dog person?
- What do you think about _______ as a pet?
- Do you think it’s beneficial or neet to have pets when you’re a child?
- Do you consider yourself to be good at cooking?
- What’s your favorite meal to cook?
- Do you like it when someone cooks for you?
- What’s the biggest mistake you’ve made in the kitchen?
- Who’s the best cook you know?
- Have you ever used a dating app?
- Do you think online dating has made it easier or harder to find a partner?
- What’s your favorite dating app to use?
- What do you think you could be done ti make dating apps better?
- Have you been on a date with someone you’ve met on an app?
- What’s your favorite natural landscape?
- What’s your favorite outdoor setting to visit near where you live?
- What’s the most extreme landscape you’ve visited?
- What country do you think has the best landscapes?
- How often do you get into nature?
- Do you prefer modern art or classical art?
- Who’s your favorite artist?
- Do you enjoy visiting art galleries?
- What’s the most interesting piece of art you’ve seen?
- Do you think every piece of art has a clear meaning or is it subjective?
- What are your hobbies?
- Is there anything you spend your time doing that you’re ashamed of or embarrassed about? Do you still watch a kids’ TV show from your childhood, collect teddy bears or something similar?
- Do you feel your hobbies enrich your life, or can they be something that pulls your focus away from other, more important things? How do your hobbies affect the people around you?
- Are your hobbies something you do by yourself or along with others? Could it be a group activity but it’s something you keep to yourself for some reason?
- Are your hobbies something you do for the enjoyment of other people or for yourself? Is there an aspect of both?
Next: Personal questions
- What’s your favorite alcoholic drink?
- Do you think alcohol would be legal if it was invented today?
- Do you prefer beer or wine?
- Do you think we drink too much as a society?
- Do you think you’ll ever consider giving up alcohol?
- What’s your favorite form of exercise?
- What do you do to stay active?
- Do you think we need to prioritise exercise more in society?
- Do you prefer to do cardio or lift weights?
- What’s your favorite outdoor activity?
- Are you worried about getting old?
- What’s the thing you’re worried about the most when it comes to ageing?
- If you could freeze your body and be reanimated 100 years from now, would you do it?
- Do you think humans will be able to live to 200 years at some point?
- Do you think younger or older people are happier?
You might also like: Deep questions to ask
- Do you have a desire to travel into space?
- Do you think humans will live on Mars or the Moon in your lifetime?
- Are we alone in the universe or not?
- If you could travel anywhere in the solar system, where would you go?
- What do you think caused the Big Bang?
- What’s your favorite type of weather?
- What do you like to do on a rainy day?
- What’s the worst storm you’ve been in?
- What country could you not live in due to its weather?
- What’s the best thing to do on a warm, sunny day?
- Where do you get your news from?
- Do you trust the mainstream media?
- Do you think 24-hour news is helpful or does it overload us with too much information?
- What stories from around the world aren’t getting nearly enough coverage in the news?
- How much of what we hear as ‘news’, is actually hot takes and opinions? Do you think this is good or inevitable, or do you think that they should be split apart to make sure there’s a certain level of impartiality?
You might also like: Good questions to ask
- Are you looking forward to retirement?
- Do you think the retirement age will increase in the next fifty years?
- How will you spend your time when you retire?
- Do you think you’ll be able to adapt to retirement?
- Do you think you should tick most of the items off your bucket list before you retire or after?
- Do you think celebrity culture is good or not?
- Who do you think is a celebrity we should look up to?
- What celebrity do you dislike the most?
- Do you follow celebrities on the news?
- Which celebrity would you like to have dinner with?
- Do you want to get married at some point?
- Do you think the institution of marriage is still relevant in the modern-day?
- What does your dream wedding look like?
- Were marriages stronger 50 years ago or not?
- If you could marry any celebrity, who would it be?
You might also like: Marriage counseling questions
- Who’s your best friend?
- Are you still friends with the people you went to school with?
- Do you think it’s easier or harder to make friends the older you get?
- What do you normally do when you hang out with your friends?
- Do you think it’s better to have lots of friends or a few close ones?
- Do you agree with the sentiment that if you don’t make your health a priority it becomes one?
- What do you think is the best way to stay healthy?
- What’s your favorite healthy meal to eat?
- What’s your best tip for staying healthy?
- Are you worried about your health declining as you get older?
- What excites you for the future? What makes you anxious about it?
- What tech or gadget from movies set in the future do you want the most?
- Do you think the future of the human race is on the Earth or colonizing other planets like Mars?
- What do you think your country will look like in fifty years’ time? From looking at the past’s ideas of what the future will look like, how does that help to predict it better?
- What leap forward in technology, society, medicine, or something else would be most beneficial to the world?
You might also like: Have you ever questions
- What’s your spirit animal?
- What’s your funniest experience with an animal?
- What’s your favorite animal?
- Do you think animals have a conscience?
- What extinct animal would you bring back from the dead?
Looking For More Questions?
Rapid fire questions – A quickfire set of questions that’s great fun with friends.
Open-ended questions – These questions will lead to some thoughtful and enjoyable conversations about a wide variety of topics.
Questions to ask potential roommates – Find out the questions you should ask to find your next roommate.