Meeting new people isn’t easy. Whether you have social anxiety, or you’re an extrovert, it’s always a challenge talking to someone new for the first time.
That’s why we’ve compiled this useful list of questions to get to know someone. These conversation starters will help you to get to know the various new people you meet and help to keep the conversations flowing.
These to ask someone to get to know them are broken up into different sections.
This will help you to choose the right questions to ask depending on the context of the situation. Asking intimate personal questions isn’t appropriate for meeting someone at a business conference for instance.
But if you’re meeting someone on a first date, or after several dates, those same questions are more relevant and socially acceptable to ask.
So, if you’re looking for the best get to know questions, we’ve got you covered.
Deep Questions To Get To Know Someone
If you really want to get to know someone, asking them philosophical questions is one of the best ways to get to what really drives and motivates that person.
These questions can be used in a variety of contexts. If you want to tease out the character of someone early on, they’re good to use.
These deep conversation starters are great at peeling back the layers of someone once you’ve become acquainted with them.
- What’s your philosophy in life?
2. Do you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert?
3. Are you religious or spiritual?
4. What makes you feel accomplished?
5. Are you more into looks or brains?
6. What would you do if your parents didn’t like your partner?
7. What is your favourite song and why?
8. Where do you find meaning in your life?
9. Have you ever questioned your sanity and why?
10. Do you believe in extraterrestrial life?
11. What do you think was there before the universe came into creation?
12. If you had the chance to become immortal would you take it?
13. Do you believe yourself to be truly free? If so, why? If not, what is holding you back?
14. What age do you want to live to?
15. What do you wish you knew more about?
16. If you could master any subject, which one would it be?
17. What’s the best single day on the calendar?
18. What’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home?
19. What city would you most like to live in?
You might also like: How well do you know me questions
20. What would you change about yourself if you could?
21. What would you do if you won the lottery?
22. What did you want to be when you were a child?
23. What’s something you probably should do, but will never do?
24. If you could change one thing in society what would it be?
25. Would you relocate for love?
26. What makes you feel accomplished?
27. When, if ever, is it okay to break the law?
28. Would you consider yourself a pessimist or an optimist?
29. What’s your long-term goal?
30. Is there a smell that instantly relaxes you?
31. What do you see as your best character trait?
32. What’s the most important lesson to teach a child?
33. Do you think people are made for each other?
34. What is your ideal night?
35. Do you think it’s better to save money or invest?
36. Do you prefer family events or alone time?
37. After a horrible day, would you prefer a nice dinner out or a cosy movie night?
38. Is there anything that gives you overwhelming anxiety?
39. If you could be transported to any period of history, which period would you choose?
40. What was the worst nightmare of your life?
Fun Questions To Get To Know Someone
These questions are similar to this or that questions in nature but without the binary choices. They’re some of the best questions to get to know someone if you want to get to know their sense of humour.
They can be used at any level of familiarity with someone and are an excellent way to lighten or liven up a conversation.
41. What’s your favourite junk food?
You might also like: Questions to ask old people
42. What was your favourite TV show growing up?
43. If you could be any cartoon character, who would you pick?
44. What reality TV show do you secretly enjoy?
45. What phobia do you have?
46. If you were reincarnated as an animal, what would you be?
47. What was your craziest dream?
48. What was your worst date ever?
49. Have you ever thrown someone a party?
50. What songs take you back to your teen years?
51. Do you believe in destiny?
52. What’s your favourite season?
53. What superpower would you like to have?
54. What’s your weirdest quirk?
55. Are you a cat person or a dog person?
56. Do you believe in conspiracy theories?
57. What’s your idea of a perfect winter day?
58. If you could eat only one food for a week, what would it be?
59. Who’s your favourite author?
60. What’s your favourite colour?
Juicy Questions To Get To Know Someone
These getting to know you questions are a bit more personal and are probably best used with someone you’re intimate with, or would like to get intimate with.
61. Are you a better talker or listener?
62. What’s the funniest thing your inner child wants?
63. If you ended up in jail, what would your friends and family think you did?
64. If your life were a movie, what scene would you watch over and over again?
65. What embarrassing moment has stuck with you over the years?
66. What is an area of your life where you feel like something is missing?
67. Does social media make you feel better or worse about yourself?
68. Which traits of your parents do you hope to never gain?
69. What traits of your parents do you wish to adopt?
70. What music affects your mood?
71. What’s the best date you’ve ever been on?
72. What’s your love language?
73. What’s your relationship with your family like?
74. Who did you turn to as a child when you were scared, lonely, hurt?
75. Who do you turn to when you feel down?
76. If you could date one famous person who would it be?
77. Do you believe in karma?
78. Are you friends with any of your exes?
79. Do you believe in giving people second chances, and why?
80. What is your idea of a perfect date?
Casual Questions To Get To Know Someone
These casual questions to ask people are ideal for someone you’ve just met. They’re not too personal, not too deep and not too light-hearted either.
This makes them ideal speed dating questions if you happen to go to an event.
If you want to get to know the basic motivations and beliefs of somebody, these casual questions have got you covered!
81. What’s an ideal weekend for you?
82. Have you ever cried tears of joy?
83. If you could have any animal in the world as a pet, what would it be and why?
84. Are you health conscious?
85. What’s your biggest paranormal or supernatural fear?
86. What trait do you envy in others?
87. What’s your favourite book?
88. What’s your favourite TV show?
89. What’s your claim to fame?
90. Do you play any sports?
91. Are you usually early or late?
92. How often do you people watch?
93. What’s your dream car?
94. If you could choose, where you would you be from?
95. What job would you be terrible at?
96. What are you absolutely determined to do?
97. If you could travel to one country which one would you choose?
98. What website do you visit most often?
99. What is your ideal vacation?
100. What’s one item you’ve recently crossed off your bucket list?
Personal Questions To Get To Know Someone
This last set of questions are personal, and in some respects, very personal. As a rule of thumb, it’s probably best to only ask these questions to know someone you already know well rather than someone you’ve just met.
101. Which celebrity do you get mistaken for?
102. What would you name the autobiography of your life?
103. When you have 30 minutes of free time, how do you pass the time?
104. Are you confrontational?
105. Have you ever lost someone close to you?
106. When was the last time you broke someone’s heart?
107. What’s your biggest regret in life?
108. When have you felt the lowest in your life?
109. How do you wish to be remembered?
110. How many languages can you speak?
111. What was the scariest moment of your life?
112. What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment to date?
113. What was it like growing up in your hometown?
114. What is your biggest pet peeve?
115. Do you like your name?
116. Which of your habits would others consider strange?
117. What’s the most awkward situation you’ve experienced?
118. Do you think you will be a good parent?
119. How judgmental are you?
120. Have you experienced something in your life you couldn’t explain?
Looking For More Questions?
All about me questions – If you want to find out how much your friends and family truly know about you, give some of these questions a try.
Rapid fire questions – These quick-fire questions will allow you to get to know someone in double-quick time!
Personal questions to ask – Get under the skin of someone’s character with these questions.
Random questions to ask – Some fun and unpredictable answers will arise from these varied questions.