Meeting new people isn’t easy. Whether you have social anxiety, or you’re an extrovert, it’s always a challenge talking to someone new for the first time.
That’s why we’ve compiled this useful list of questions to get to know someone. These conversation starters will help you to get to know the various new people you meet and help to keep the conversations flowing.
These questions to ask to get to know someone are broken up into different sections.
This will help you to choose the right get to know you questions to ask depending on the context of the situation. Asking intimate personal questions isn’t appropriate for meeting someone at a business conference for instance.
But if you’re meeting someone on a first date, or after several dates, those same conversation starters are more relevant and socially acceptable to ask.
So, if you’re looking for the best getting to know you questions, we’ve got you covered.
Table of Contents
Deep Questions To Get To Know Someone
If you really want to get to know someone, asking them philosophical questions is one of the best ways to get to what really drives and motivates that person.
These questions can be used in a variety of contexts. If you want to tease out the character of someone early on, they’re good to use.
These deep conversation starters are great at peeling back the layers of someone once you’ve become acquainted with them.
- What’s your philosophy in life?
2. Do you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert?
3. Tell me the last three places you visited on holiday? Which was your favorite?
4. What’s the best restaurant in your local town?
5. What’s your go-to cocktail to order on a night on the town?
6. What would you do if your parents didn’t like your partner?
7. What’s your favorite song and why?
8. Where do you find meaning in your life?
9. Do you prefer a chilled day at the beach or an adventurous hike in the mountains?
10. Do you believe in extraterrestrial life?
You might also like:
- Topics to talk about
- Questions to ask old people
- Interesting conversation topics
- Questions to ask a mentee
- Random questions to ask
11. What do you think was there before the universe came into creation?
12. Do you have any pets? Would you like any in the future?
13. Do you believe yourself to be truly free? If so, why? If not, what is holding you back?
14. What are three traits you look for in a partner?
15. What do you think of people that wear expensive designer clothes?
16. If you could master any subject, which one would it be?
17. Would you rather wake up tomorrow in a New York penthouse suite or a treehouse in
the Amazon rainforest?
18. What are your three favorite TV shows or movies?
19. What city would you most like to live in?
You might also like: How well do you know me questions
20. What would you change about yourself if you could?
21. What would you do if you won the lottery?
22. What did you want to be when you were a child?
23. What’s something you probably should do, but will never do?
24. If you could change one thing in society what would it be?
25. Do you prefer sweet or savory treats?
26. Where is considered ‘home’ for you?
27. When, if ever, is it okay to break the law?
28. Would you consider yourself a pessimist or an optimist?
29. Where’s the best place to get coffee in your town?
30. Is there a smell that instantly relaxes you?
31. It’s raining and your friends suggest hiking in the countryside, would you join them or
stay by the fire?
32. What’s the most important lesson to teach a child?
33. Do you think people are made for each other?
34. What’s your favorite location for a quiet walk on a Sunday?
35. Do you think it’s better to save money or invest?
36. How many countries have you visited in your life?
37. After a horrible day, would you prefer a nice dinner out or a cosy movie night?
38. How would you feel about spending the day walking around museums?
39. If you could be transported to any period of history, which period would you choose?
40. What was the worst nightmare of your life?
Fun Questions To Get To Know Someone
These questions are similar to this or that questions in nature but without binary choices. They’re some of the best questions to get to know someone if you want to get to know their sense of humor.
They can be used at any level of familiarity with someone and are an excellent way to lighten or liven up a conversation.
41. What’s your favorite junk food?
You might also like: Embarrassing questions
42. What was your favorite TV show growing up?
43. If you could be any cartoon character, who would you pick?
44. What reality TV show do you secretly enjoy?
45. Which type of cuisine is your favorite when ordering a Friday night takeaway?
46. If you were reincarnated as an animal, what would you be?
47. What was your craziest dream?
48. Tell me about the last time you burst out laughing?
49. Have you ever thrown someone a party?
50. What songs take you back to your teen years?
51. Have you read any good books recently?
52. What’s your favorite season?
53. What superpower would you like to have?
54. What’s your weirdest quirk?
55. Are you a cat person or a dog person?
56. Do you believe in conspiracy theories?
57. What’s your idea of a perfect winter day?
58. If you could eat only one food for a week, what would it be?
59. Would you go for a ride on the back of a motorbike in the countryside?
60. If you were cooking dinner for a date, what would you prepare?
Juicy Questions To Get To Know Someone
61. Are you a better talker or listener?
Next: Juicy questions
62. What’s the funniest thing your inner child wants?
63. If you ended up in jail, what would your friends and family think you did?
64. If your life were a movie, what scene would you watch over and over again?
65. What embarrassing moment has stuck with you over the years?
66. What is an area of your life where you feel like something is missing?
67. Does social media make you feel better or worse about yourself?
68. Which traits of your parents do you hope to never possess?
69. What traits of your parents do you wish to adopt?
70. What music affects your mood?
71. What’s the best date you’ve ever been on?
72. What’s your love language?
73. What’s your relationship with your family like?
74. Who did you turn to as a child when you were scared, lonely, and/or hurt?
75. Who do you turn to when you feel down?
76. If you could date one famous person who would it be?
77. Do you believe in karma?
78. Are you friends with any of your exes?
79. Do you believe in giving people second chances, and why?
80. What is your idea of a perfect date?
Casual Questions To Get To Know Someone
These casual questions to ask people are ideal for someone you’ve just met. They’re not too personal, not too deep, and not too light-hearted either.
This makes them ideal speed dating questions if you happen to go to an event.
If you want to get to know the basic motivations and beliefs of somebody, these casual questions have got you covered!
81. What’s an ideal weekend for you?
You might also like: Questions to ask potential roommates
82. Have you ever cried tears of joy?
83. If you could have any animal in the world as a pet, what would it be and why?
84. Are you health conscious?
85. What’s your biggest paranormal or supernatural fear?
86. What trait do you envy in others?
87. What’s your favorite book?
88. What’s your favorite TV show?
89. What’s your claim to fame?
90. Do you play any sports?
Next: Most likely to questions
91. Are you usually early or late?
92. How often do you people watch?
93. What’s your dream car?
94. If you could choose, where you would you be from?
95. What job would you be terrible at?
96. What are you absolutely determined to do?
97. If you could travel to one country which one would you choose?
98. What website do you visit most often?
99. What is your ideal vacation?
100. What’s one item you’ve recently crossed off your bucket list?
Personal Questions To Get To Know Someone
This last set of questions is personal, and in some respects, very personal. As a rule of thumb, it’s probably best to only ask these questions to know someone you already know well rather than someone you’ve just met.
101. Which celebrity do you get mistaken for?
You might also like: Fun questions to ask
102. What would you name the autobiography of your life?
103. When you have 30 minutes of free time, how do you pass the time?
104. Are you confrontational?
105. Have you ever lost someone close to you?
106. When was the last time you broke someone’s heart?
107. What’s your biggest regret in life?
108. When have you felt the lowest in your life?
109. How do you wish to be remembered?
110. How many languages can you speak?
111. What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment to date?
112. What was it like growing up in your hometown?
113. What is your biggest pet peeve?
114. Do you like your name?
115. Which of your habits would others consider strange?
116. What’s the most awkward situation you’ve experienced?
117. Do you think you will be a good parent?
118. What activities do you do to meet new people?
119. Have you experienced something in your life you couldn’t explain?
120. What was the scariest moment of your life?
121. Are you more into looks or brains?
122. Have you ever questioned your sanity? If so, why?
123. What age do you want to live to?
124. What do you wish you knew more about?
125. Do you believe in destiny?
126. What’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home?
127. What makes you feel accomplished?
128. What does your ideal night look like?
129. What’s your long-term goal?
130. If you had the chance to become immortal would you take it?
131. Would you relocate for love?
132. Is there anything that gives you overwhelming anxiety?
133. What do you see as your best character trait?
134. Do you prefer family events or alone time?
135. What’s the best single day on the calendar?
Looking For More Questions?
All about me questions – If you want to find out how much your friends and family truly know about you, give some of these questions a try.
Rapid fire questions – These quick-fire questions will allow you to get to know someone in double-quick time!
Open-ended questions – A good set of questions if you want to have some expansive conversations.
Good questions to ask – Questions you can ask anyone to have some enlivening conversations.
Funny questions to ask – Have some fun conversations with these light-hearted questions.