These questions to ask a 5 year old are perfect if you want to get them talking and expressing themselves much more than they are.
We’ve included funny questions to ask a 5 year old, some serious ones and others that focus on what they like and don’t like.
All of this is designed to encourage them to open up and express themselves and how they see the world. Kids are full of opinions and these questions are designed to help them express them.
Our list of fun questions to ask a 5 year old will lead to some fruitful and engaging conversations with kids, whether you’re a parent or an adult.
Questions To Ask A 5 Year Old List
- If you could have any animal as a pet, which one would you choose?
2. Do you think it would be more fun to be Batman or Superman? Why?
3. If you could eat one dessert for the rest of your life, what would it be?
4. Who’s your favorite Marvel superhero?
5. What makes the best fort?
6. Which animal do you think would be a good driver?
7. Where’s the best place to hide during a game of hide and seek?
8. Would you rather have tentacles for arms or tree trunks for legs?
9. Do you think it would be fun to be a wizard?
10. Which one of the Disney princesses is your favorite?
You might also like:
- All about me questions for kids
- This or that questions for kids
- Most likely to questions for kids
- Conversation starters for kids
- Would you rather questions for kids
11. If you had a pet dinosaur, what would you call it?
12. If your toys could talk, what do you think they would say?
13. What’s the best thing about nature?
14. What do you think makes someone smart?
15. If you could be a superhero, what would you call yourself?
You might also like: Bible questions for kids
16. Would you rather be as fast as a leopard, or as strong as an ox?
17. What foreign language would you love to be able to speak?
18. What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
19. What’s the best thing about your parents?
20. If you made the rules at home, what would be your first new rule?
21. Would you rather get in trouble with your parents or your teacher?
22. If you could be any animal, what would you be?
23. If your favorite toy could talk, what would it say?
24. What do you want to be when you grow up?
25. What do you think is the best thing about being a grown-up?
26. If you could trade places with anyone for the day, who would it be?
27. If you had $100, what would you spend it on?
28. What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned at school?
29. If you could design a t-shirt, what would you draw on it?
30. What’s the worst smell in the world?
Next: Never have I ever questions for kids
31. If you could wake up tomorrow with a superpower, what superpower would it be?
32. If you found a magic lamp with a genie inside, what three things would you wish for?
33. If you had a parrot, what would you teach it to say?
34. If you could change the color of your house, what color would you change it to?
35. What’s the funniest thing you’ve ever seen?
36. If you could invent something to make your life easier, what would you invent?
37. What made you smile today?
38. What’s your favorite part of the day?
39. What’s the best fact you know?
40. If you found a time machine, would you go back in time or into the future?
41. If you swapped places with your teacher tomorrow, what subject would you teach the class?
42. Would you rather become five years older or two years younger?
43. If you could give yourself a new name, what would it be?
44. What do you think is the best job in the world?
45. What’s your favorite meal?
You might also like: Yes or no questions for kids
46. If you could combine two animals to make a new one, which two animals would you combine?
47. Would you rather go bowling or watch go and watch a movie?
48. If you could put anything on top of a pizza, what would it be?
49. What’s the nicest thing one of your friends has done for you?
50. What’s your favorite sport to play?
51. Which animal do you think is the coolest?
52. Who do you think would win in a fight between a gorilla and a polar bear?
53. If you could visit any country in the world, which one would it be?
54. If you could travel to the moon on a rocket, would you go?
55. Would you rather have a parrot or a lizard as a pet?
56. What musical instrument would you love to play?
57. If you could teleport to any place in the world, where would you go?
58. Do you prefer cats or dogs?
59. What’s your favorite dinosaur?
60. What’s the best way to show someone you love them?
Next: Open-ended questions for kids
61. Would you rather eat candy or cake?
62. If you could decide what breakfast you ate, what would you eat?
63. What’s the one vegetable you never want to eat again?
64. If you had a secret base, where would it be and what would be inside it?
65. If you were the leader of your country for the day, what’s the first thing you’d do?
66. Would you rather spend the night in a cemetery or a haunted house?
67. What’s your favorite flavor of ice cream?
68. What’s the strangest dream you’ve ever had?
69. If you could be any Pokemon, which one would you be?
70. If you could give all your toys away, who would you give them to?
You might also like: Philosophical questions for kids
71. What makes you happy?
72. If you were enrolled at Hogwarts, what house would you like to be sorted into?
73. How old do you think Mommy/Daddy is?
74. What’s your favorite cartoon?
75. How many stars do you think there are in our galaxy?
76. Why do you go to sleep at night and not in the morning?
77. If you had to spend the whole day outside, what would you do?
78. If you opened a restaurant, what would you call it?
79. What’s your favorite insect?
80. What would happen if a vampire bit a werewolf?
Next: Get to know you questions for kids
81. What’s your favorite book?
82. What do you look forward to the most when you wake up?
83. Do you prefer to go to the beach or an amusement park?
84. Do you think it would be fun to live in a treehouse?
85. Do you prefer summer or winter?
86. Why did the chicken cross the road?
87. What are you scared of?
88. At what age do you become an adult?
89. If you could live in outer space or underwater, which would you prefer?
90. What do you think Santa does for the rest of the year when it’s not Christmas?
91. Do you think it would be fun to be a pirate?
92. What’s your favorite day of the week?
93. If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
94. Do you think aliens exist?
95. Do you think ghosts ever get scared when they see humans?
96. What one thing would you change about school?
97. What’s the best way to deal with your feelings when you’re angry?
98. If you could meet one famous person, who would it be and why?
99. What’s your favorite subject at school?
100. What’s your favorite game to play with your parents?
101. Do you think your birthday or Christmas is the better day?
Looking For More Questions?
Questions to ask toddlers – If your children are under 5 years old, these questions are perfect to ask.
Fun questions for kids – Have some fun with your kids with these questions.
Tom is a travel writer and Co-Founder of Questions About Everything. He grew up in the UK and enjoys spending his time traveling to new places, supporting Liverpool FC, and blogging about his adventures. He spent two years teaching English in Barcelona and frequently utilized question games and conversation starters as part of his lesson plans. Learn more about Tom on our About page.